Let’s face it, dining at your favorite restaurant with the kids isn’t always a joy or worth it. Depending on age, eating out with children is like trying to enjoy classical music while a car alarm is sounding.
What’s meant to be a relaxing break from a night cooking and cleaning at home can quickly turn ugly. Fortunately, there are plenty of family-friendly dining establishments in Capitola and Soquel that will leave the parents feeling nourished and the kids smiling, too. Here are some of our family favorites:
- , located at 1000 41st Ave. The service is fast, the food is delicious and the shakes, made with Marianne’s ice cream, are irresistible.
- Taqueria Vallarta, located at 200 Monterey Ave. in the Capitola Village. The tasty taqueria offers a reasonably priced menu and is a great choice for quick dinner ideas.
- , located at 1501 41st Ave. This pizzeria has something for everyone. Their jalapeno-topped, pepperoni and garlic pizza is a favorite among adults, with the plain-cheese pizza being a foolproof choice for the kiddies. With robust salads to keep the meal balanced and beer on tap, everyone leaves feeling satisfied.
- , located at 504 Bay Ave. This rosticceria is a site for hungry eyes. With nightly dinner specials and a casual atmosphere, it’s easy to find something appealing for even the pickiest little ones.
- , located at 2605 Main St. The downtown restaurant offers dine-in and take-out options for families. The staff is always welcoming and the kitchen accommodates special orders without complaint. For the parents, try Mollie’s Margie, served in a mason jar. It will take the edge off even the most difficult of days.
- Restaurant, located at 2400 Porter St. Carpo's has been consistently rated the best kid-friendly restaurant in the area, and it’s easy to see why. The popular eatery has everything from hot dogs to Teriyaki-Chicken Kabobs and some of the best milk shakes in town. Carpo’s is undoubtedly a quick-kid pleaser.
- , located at 3555 Clares St. This restaurant has been a favorite of my son for some time. He likes the buffet-style service because he can be as picky as he wants, or at least he can until I tell him he to eat some veggies. This is definitely a fast and easy dinner option for families.
Enjoy eating out around town with the kids, and save the fancy places for a night when the kids are at a sleep over or when the grandparents are in town.